Monday, January 28, 2013

Making Progress! First Scenes Shot!

After using last week to acquire all of the equipment I will need for this project I was finally ready to get into the actual filming of "Keeping Up With The Joneses". It was really just a test run, as I try to get the audio dialed in and figure out my new camera, but it went really well. I sat down with Curtis for about an hour and interviewed him, gaining a lot of good footage in the process. At the end of the day, I learned a few things that will be important moving forward. Here are some of those things:

1. My mic setup is pretty decent but we have to be in a totally quiet area- which I should have assumed but I wasn't sure how good my wireless tie mics were. There are instances in the footage where you can hear Curtis' dogs in the background (he has two huge pit bulls) and when the heat kicks on it definitely creates a hum. Next time, no dogs around and the heat will be off.

2. Curtis is a very good interviewee. We jumped right into the nitty gritty details and he never hesitated and he got better and more comfortable as time went on. This, obviously, will be good for the film.

3. As good as he is, he also moves a lot, causing "scratching" on the mic. I'll have to instruct him to sit as still as possible without making him uncomfortable, as I want him to be natural.

4. My lighting set-up looked pretty good I thought. One thing that is for certain is that the better the lighting, the better my picture will look, specifically in HD. The shots we did outside are outstanding (quality wise).

All in all, I feel very comfortable with where I am at and am excited about our progress. The plan this week will be to sit back down with Curtis and reshoot after making the adjustments listed above. I will probably still use some of the footage from the first interview, but like I said, it was basically just a test run. I am confident moving forward now that we got that out of the way. We will look to interview Curtis' father next week, so we are moving right along.

Below you can see a little mini-trailer I put together using some of the footage. Make sure to click on the little gear icon to switch it to full HD (it looks better).This was really just an attempt to throw some things together to see how they looked and sounded, but it turned out pretty good, for what it is. A little background music goes a long way towards improving audio, although this could definitely still use some cleaning up. At any rate, it's short and simple but interesting and it introduces us to Curtis. Here it is:


I will have a good portion of the "Intro" segment of the film done by next week following the next round of interviews with Curtis. Things are going good!

On another note, I am also scheduled to shoot a music video this upcoming weekend with a friend of mine that goes by the stage name "Komain". I will have, at the very least, some screenshots from that project up in this blog in the next week as well. Moving forward and feeling good, stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment